Friday, 25 September 2015

am i an artist? // collaboration





1. As a child, do you recall a significant moment when you felt truly
affected or inspired by any particular artwork or artist? Honestly, it wasn't until recently that I fully started to appreciate art. I began to start reading in to the history of artistry whilst doing English essays and became fascinated in how the perceptions of that time period were projected in to a painting. I also began to explore tumblr and some of the beautiful, yet simplistic works of art that can be found on the site. Expression is raw yet humbling. 


2. As an artist, what do you hope to convey with your work? I've never really seen myself as an 'artist' but when people do look at my work I want them to see a story. And not just any story, but a story of intricacy and intensity where ideas have convulsed together to create a rather weird yet wonderful piece of 'art'. I am not one to draw or painting something that lacks significance, everything I do has a complex meaning behind it because that's how I think. I am a thinker. I am a writer. 


3. What memorable responses have you had to your work? Whenever I do a piece, I will always write a synopsis that eloquently collates my ideas together. My favourite responses are when someone looks at the painting/drawing/photograph and then reads the text underneath; it is like a light bulb pings above their head and all of sudden the inanimate page becomes alive with a story

4. What is your dream project? I would love to just have a wall. Quite literally a wall- and everyday be given a different medium to express myself if. I guess it would be like a diary; angry scribbles juxtaposed with soft lines, doodles, oceans, animals, symbols... just having that freedom is an art form in itself. 


5. What artists, of any medium, do you admire? (Famous or not!) Any artist that captures the intimacies of human emotion is a favourite of mine. Some of my most adored portraits are quite melancholy with dripping brush strokes; stimulating sadness but the more prevalent emotion is intrigue. Mixed media always looks amazing but a good old fashioned oil painting never fails to stun me. 



Carl Melegari


Guy Denning


Rupert Bathurst

This was post was in collaboration with Patience Brewster's efforts to raise awareness about the motives behind art. (Patience Brewster [x] is an artist herself and a designer of handmade Christmas ornaments [x] ). I don't always share my art work on this blog, mainly because I have never considered myself to be very good. And that's okay. I like to express myself in different ways, whether that be through a scratchy scribble, a photograph or a piece of writing (the latter being my preferred medium). 

Never be afraid to express yourself, 
-J

P.S I finally finished my fanfiction and would be so humbled if you could take a read and maybe review? [x








No comments:

Post a Comment